Troop 57 History

 

First United Methodist Church

In 1945, Garland had grown from a small town of some 2,000 people to approximately 7,000. Rev. W. D. Craig, then pastor of the First Methodist Church, saw the need for an organization that would provide a worthwhile program for boys. He, like many others, believed that Scouting can become a way of life and that it is hard for a good Scout to grow up to be a bad man. He applied for a charter on January 12, 1945, and so Troop 57 was born.

 

Since that time Troop 57 has been in continuous operation, serving the youth and the community of Garland, Texas and the surrounding area. As one of the oldest troops in Circle Ten Council, we are very proud of our heritage.

 

Because we've been around so long, it can prove difficult to tell our story. Collected here is a growing collection of tales and legends about Troop 57 that we'd like to bind for posterity...or our upcoming Troop Reunion!

 

If you have any stories, facts, photos or advice to share, please send it all to our Committee Chair, Webmaster or any of our other leadership and they'll be up here soon.

2019

Tom Cooper retires as Committee Chair

Paul Shine becomes Committee Chair

Troop 57 adds a Scouts BSA Girls Unit led by Ms. Holly Gardner

2017

Troop 57 sends contingent to 2017 National Jamboree at the Summit Bechtel Reserve.

 

2016

Susan Lancaster retires as Venture Advisor.

Tom Jeffcoat becomes Venture Advisor.

 

2013

Robert Garrett retires as Crew 57 Venture Advisor.

Susan Lancaster becomes Venture Advisor.

Troop 57 sends contingent to 2013 National Jamboree the first ever held at the Summit Bechtel Reserve.

 

2011

Pack 1978 moves its charter to First United Methodist Church.

 

2010

Tom Cooper retires as Scoutmaster, becomes Troop 57 Committee Chair.

Kevin Harrison becomes Scoutmaster.

 

2000s

2007

Robert Garrett retires as Scoutmaster, becomes Crew 57 Venture Advisor.

Tom Cooper becomes Scoutmaster.

2003

Scout Oak is felled from FUMC lawn to make room for church expansion.

 

1990s

1998

Kevin Harrison retires as Scoutmaster, becomes Troop 57 Committee Chair

Robert Garrett becomes Scoutmaster.

 

1960s

1968

Pack 57 does not recharter.

September 3, 1963

Eagle Court of Honor for 8 Troop 57 Eagle Scouts on same date.

1960

Troop 57 sends contingent to Golden Jubilee National Jamboree in Colorado Springs.

 

1950s

Troop 57 History - 1950s

Troop Room Entrance

First United Methodist Church

1950

In 1950, eight men and 32 boys were registered. Scoutmaster was Kenneth Gray, and Assistant Scoutmaster was W. W. Wood. Institutional Representative was C. D. Crossman, Jr., and Chairman of the Committee was W. E. Peters. Committee Members were J. D. Squibb, A. T. Burton, and L. H. Tidwell. Meetings were held at the Youth Building at the Church. There were 14 advancements to Tenderfoot, 15 to Second Class, 11 to First Class, and 2 to Star.

Committee Chair Harrison

1951

In 1951, seven men and 25 boys were registered. Kenneth Gray was Scoutmaster, and A. H. Tieman was Institutional Representative. W. E. Peters was Chairman of the Committee, and members were J. D. Squibb, W. J. Sellers, A. T. Burton, G. H Mood, and L. H. Tidwell. Meetings were held at the Youth Building at the Church. There were 24 advancements to Tenderfoot, 6 to Second Class, 5 to First Class, and 3 to Star.

Committee Chair Harrison

1952

In 1952, nine men and 19 boys were registered. Kenneth Gray was Scoutmaster, and assistants were A. J. Oden and E. L. Meis. Howard Burton was Institutional Representative, and A. G. Webb was Chairman of the Committee. Committee members were L. H. Tidwell, A. T. Burton, G. H. Mood, A. H. Tieman, L. D. Isett, and Donald Squibb. Meetings were held at Ave. B and 9th St. Five advancements were made to Tenderfoot, 5 to Second Class, 2 to First Class, 1 to Star and 3 to Life.

Committee Chair Harrison

1953

In 1953, there were 8 men and 20 boys registered. Scoutmaster was Kermit Lofton, and Assistant was J. W. Jones. Institutional Representative was J. T. Osborn, and the committee was composed of A. G. Webb, Chairman, Leroy Beatty, A. H. Tieman, and A. T. Burton. Meetings were held at the Youth Building. Seventeen advancements were made to Tenderfoot, 4 to Second Class, 3 to First Class, 2 to Star, and 1 to Life.

Committee Chair Harrison

1954

In 1954, twelve men and 27 boys registered. Kermit Lofton was Scoutmaster, and J. W. Jones Assistant . Institutional Representative was L. H. Tidwell, and Committee Chairman was Arthur Webb. Committee members were L. D. Isett, Web Six, Paul Tieman, L. Beatty, A. H. Tieman, J. T. Osborn, C. H. Hill, Jr., and A. T. Burton. Meetings were at the Youth Building. Twenty-five boys advanced to Tenderfoot, 14 to Second Class, and 2 to First Class.

Committee Chair Harrison

1955

Fourteen men and 29 boys were registered in 1955. J. W. Jones was Scoutmaster and D. C. Holford Assistant until October 3, 1955. On that day, D. C. Holford became Scoutmaster, and assistants were P. R. Tieman and E. Williamson, Jr. Institutional Representative was C. H. Hill, Jr. and Committee Chairman was L. H. Tidwell. Committee members were W. E. Peavy, Jr., T. W. Six, A. H. Tieman, Sam Brady, K. Lofton, L. D. Isett, and A. T. Burton. Advancements included 15 to Tenderfoot, 14 to Second Class, 7 to First Class, and 1 to Star.

Committee Chair Harrison

 

1940s

January 20, 1947

Don Squibb became Troop 57's first Eagle Scout.

1945

First United Methodist Church chartered Boy Scout Troop 57.

Troop 57 History - 1940s

Troop Room Entrance

First United Methodist Church

In 1945, Garland had grown from a small town of some 2,000 people to approximately 7,000. Rev. W. D. Craig, then pastor of the First Methodist Church, saw the need for an organization that would provide a worthwhile program for boys. Realizing that the need went deeper than entertainment or keeping them occupied, he chose Scouting because of its basic principles. He, like many others, believed that Scouting can become a way of life and that it is hard for a good Scout to grow up to be a bad man. Accordingly, he applied for a charter on January 12, 1945, and so Troop 57 was born.

 

The distinction of being the first Scoutmaster went to Charles E. Struwe, and Assistant Scoutmaster was Kenneth Gray. Chairman of the Committee was Harold A. Mielke, and the committee members were Morse H. Marklely, W. F. McMahan, and Rev. W. D. Craig.

 

The charter members of the troop were:

 

Davis McKinney

Hal Ticknor, Jr.

Lyle Tucker

Don Squibb, Jr.

Preston Karrick

Dan Poe

Billy Sanders

Leslie Durloo, Jr.

Paul Pendergraft

John McCurrry

Bill Holmes

Thomas Browning

Bobby Stringer

Don Ray Monroe

John Range

Louis Mungioli

Bobby Hamilton

Edward Wilson

Lester Hart

Edwin Williams

Malcolm Petway

The first 8 boys were registered on January 24, 1945, and the others soon followed. Assistant Scoutmaster Kenneth Gray was registered on November 1, 1945. On January 30, 1945, the troop adopted the standard troop budget plan.

 

 

1945

During 1945 there were 4 advancements to Tenderfoot, 4 to Second Class, and 1 to First Class.

Preston Kerrick advanced to Life on October 22, 1945.

 

Meetings were held at the Church, and the troop was divided into 3 patrols.

Committee Chair Harrison

1946

In 1946, Charles Struwe was still Scoutmaster, and Kenneth Gray was Assistant Scoutmaster. L. M. Watkins also became an Assistant Scoutmaster. Chairman of the Committee was Frank McMahan, and the Committee was composed of J. D. Squibb, Aubrey Skelton, Rev. Craig, and J. Nicholson. There were 15 Scouts registered. Senior Patrol Leader was Preston Karrick, and Scribe was Eddie Williams. The highlight of 1946 was the Scout-Cub Carnival held at the Athletic Field by Troop 57, Troop 61 of the Baptist Church, and the Cub pack. There were sideshows and concessions and this was the first organized money-raising campaign for Troop 57.

 

The troop flag was bought in 1946. That year, there were 11 advancements to Tenderfoot, 10 to Second Class, and 1 to Life. Don Squibb advanced from First Class to Star on April 15, 1946 and to Life on July 1, 1946. Eddie Williams advanced to Star on April 15, 1946 and Don Ray Monroe on July 15, 1946.

Committee Chair Harrison

1947

In 1947, eight new Scouts registered, together with 18 who were already in. Kenneth Gray became Scoutmaster, and his assistants were W. D. Prichett and L. M. Watkins. E. G. Smith was Chairman of the Committee, and members were J. D. Squibb, W. D. Craig, and A. Skelton. Tom Sawyer was Institutional Representative. Meetings were held at the Scout hut on the Athletic Field. Four advancements were made to Tenderfoot, 5 to Second Class, 4 to First Class, 2 to Star, and 3 to Life. Don Squibb advanced to Eagle on January 20, 1947.

 

The main money-raising program in 1947 was the paper pick-up held once a month. A. B. Harris furnished the truck for this project. That year a 3-day summer camp was held at Lake Dallas.

Committee Chair Harrison

1948

In 1948, seven men were registered and 15 boys. Kenneth Gray was Scoutmaster and W. D. Prichett Assistant Scoutmaster. C. E. Struwe was Institutional Representative. E. G. Smith was Chairman of the Committee, and members were L. M. Watkins, J. D. Squibb, and W. D. Craig. Meetings were held at the Scout hut. Ten boys advanced to Tenderfoot, 2 to Second Class, and 2 to First Class. Don Ray Monroe advanced to Eagle on February 17, 1948, and Preston Karrick advanced to Eagle on March 16, 1948.

 

Ten boys and Kenneth Gray spent a week at Camp Wisdom for summer camp. This was the first group of this size to attend.

Committee Chair Harrison

1949

Nine men were registered in 1949 and 14 boys. Kenneth Gray was Scoutmaster, and Assistants were D. B. Clements and Sam Gray. Curtis Crossman, Jr. was Institutional Representative and W. E. Peters Chairman of the Committee. Members were A. T. Burton, Jr., L. H. Tidwell, J. D. Squibb, and E. B. Anderton. The meeting place was changed to the Youth Building at the First Methodist Church.

 

Twenty-six advancements were made to Tenderfoot, 8 to Second Class, 2 to First Class, 2 to Star, and 1 to Life. Don Squibb advanced to Gold Palm on March 15, 1949.

 

In February of 1949, the Scouts of Troop 57 took over all the city offices for one day. In the summer of 1949, they attended summer camp at Wisdom. It was about this time that the boys became know as "Heinz 57" troop all over the district, and received a letter from a Heinz executive.

Committee Chair Harrison

Date Unknown

First United Methodist Church chartered Cub Scout Pack 57 for the purpose of seeding a Boy Scout troop.

 

Troop 57 Scoutmasters

Kevin Harrison 2010-Present

Tom Cooper 2007- 2010

Robert Garrett 1999-2007

Tom Oliver 1998-1999

Kevin Harrison 1994-1998

Mike Henrichsen 1988-1994

Brig Knight 1987-1988

Loyd Roland 1980-1987

John Wester 1976-1980

Bill Holmes 1975-1976

Nick Cranfill 1974

Bob Warren 1973

K. T. Scott 1972

Benny Burden 1970-1971

Leon Mobley 1967-1970

Bob Dyer 1966

Duane Holford 1965

Bob Keith 1964

Duane Holford 1957-1964

J. W. (Johnny) Jones 1955-1956

Kermit Lofton 1953-1954

Ken Gray 1947-1952

Charles Struwe 1945-1946

 

Copyright © 1999-2017 Troop 57. All Rights Reserved.

 

 

© 2019 Troop 57 Garland, Texas                                                              Troopmaster Web Sign in

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • yahoo_logo.jpg